Friday, July 2, 2010

Strawberry Muffins

This is a recipe for strawberry muffins that everyone except the youngest girl in the family likes. She has an aversion to chunks of fruit in her food, which she declares completely ruins the food. Anyway, I've tried various alterations to this recipe including: adding a 1/2 cup of wheat flour which was okay but I didn't ever do it again, I added a few raspberries once since I didn't have quite enough strawberries and I had raspberries that needed to be used and this turned out pretty well, I've varied the strength of the vanilla because I like vanilla in my food, and I've also added a little bit of sugar and cinnamon to the tops before baking. It's a fairly versatile recipe.

Strawberry Muffins

¼ cup canola oil (or vegetable oil or applesauce)
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla (up to 1 teaspoon if desired)
1 egg
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and grease muffin tins, or use paper liners.

In a small bowl, combine oil, milk, and egg. Beat lightly.

In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour. Pour in milk mixture and stir together.

Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes, or until the tops bounce back from the touch. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You know, you could puree the strawberries. She wouldn't know they were there then. You might even do it for only a couple of muffins then you can still have the chunks.