Sunday, July 4, 2010

Buttercream Dream Icing

This buttercream icing recipe isn't too different from the Wilton recipe but it tastes so much better! I highly recommend using this recipe instead of Wilton's for decorating. The almond extract (although I can't stand the smell) adds so much to the recipe!

Buttercream Dream
Agentcakebaker (with a couple of minor alterations with flavoring)

15 minutes – 5 minutes prep
Yields: 4 cups

I got this recipe from a cake site and can't stop making it. It is the best buttercream recipe that I have found. I modified my recipe to include Almond Extract, but you can use just about any extract. I've done clear vanilla and raspberry with rave reviews. I use this recipe for all my cakes and cupcakes. It colors nicely. If you want a stiffer buttercream for roses and such, omit or add very little milk. If you want a thinner buttercream, add more than 6 tbs of milk.

½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup butter, salted
1 cup Crisco shortening
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 teaspoons almond extract, clear
2 teaspoons vanilla, clear
5 Tablespoons milk
(If you have it and want a stiffer icing, use about 1 Tbsp of meringue powder and mix in with the powdered sugar)

Bring butter to room temperature.

In a mixing bowl, whip butter and Crisco together.

Add the extract and whip.

Slowly add the powdered sugar (and meringue powder) and one tablespoon of milk and mix well.
Continue adding one tablespoon of milk at a time until you get your desired stiffness.

Whip for 5-10 minutes, until fluffy.

No comments: