Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Best Banana Bread

I've tried a LOT of banana bread recipes. I've found many that we like, some that we really like and then this one. The kids LOVE this recipe and prefer it over all others I've used. There are suggestions from reviewers about changes they've made to this recipe but I haven't used them so far since we like the recipe just as it is right now. I haven't really paid attention to the suggestions before since I like to try recipes "as is" before I make changes to it. I AM going to finally try them with the suggested changes, though. I'm just waiting for my current supply of bananas to get more ripe. That's if Boy 2 lets that happen. He's currently on a banana kick, usually eating two at a time!

The Best Banana Bread
by Libby at Allrecipes.com

1/2 cup margarine, softened (I usually prefer to use butter but margarine's still good)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (Use 325 if you use a glass pan.) Grease and flour (I never flour it) a 9x5-inch pan.

Cream margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, then bananas. Add flour and soda, stirring just until combined. (Don't overmix.)

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. (Start watching after 45 minutes so it doesn't get too well baked and therefore dry.)

Remove from pan and let cool, store in refrigerator or freeze.

(Careful removing it from the pan. I often have some of the bottom stick to the pan, which would probably be fixed if I floured the pan but I'm too lazy to do it.)

The suggested changes:
Use 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Add a pinch salt (or about 1/4 teaspoon salt if you don't have a "pinch" on hand)
Add vanilla - suggestions ranged from 1/2 tsp to one tablespoon, so I guess this is preference

As is, the recipe comes out pretty flat on top. It would probably be a good idea to add the salt so that it works with the baking soda to help it rise more. When I make it again with the changes I'll put an addendum on this post to let you know how it turns out.

No comments: