Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shish-Kabobs

This yummy recipe is one that I remember loving as a child. It was a special treat to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house in the summer because Grandpa would often make these kabobs and cook them on his big charcoal grill. He'd place large chunks of meat on these giant skewers that looked like swords and cook them until they were juicy and oh so good. Grandpa is long since gone, but the recipe is not, plus I have the added bonus of having received those long swords after both Grandma and Grandpa passed away. They hold good memories for me.

Shish-Kabobs

1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
(Since we don't drink alcohol, and therefore don't buy it, I usually combine these two and use about 1/2 - 3/4 cup red wine vinegar, dependent on how much of the vinegar-like taste you want.)
1/2 cup salad oil (I use vegetable or canola oil)
1 teaspoon Seasonall or savor salt
1/4 teaspoon barbecue spice
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 lb beef, tender cut of roast or steak

Mix all marinade ingredients. May also include chopped fresh onions if desired. (I don't usually do that.) Cut meat into 1-inch cubes. (For the interest of time, I've been known to just buy stew meat at the store since it's already cut up. It works fine on regular size skewers.) Add meat to the marinade and marinate for several hours at room temperature. Put meat onto skewers and cook over hot coals to desired doneness.

** I will often prepare this either the night before or that morning and then stick it in the fridge until the afternoon. I then let it sit on the counter for three hours or so before cooking.

No comments: