Friday, April 15, 2011

Kickin' Craisin Cookies

I read a book last fall called 'Key Lime Pie'. It's a fiction mystery and it was entertaining. One thing I loved about the book, though, was that it had a recipe at the end of each chapter. I haven't tried any of the other recipes in the book because, even though they all sound good, I KNOW that my kids (all of them) would rebel. Honestly, they even rebel at these cookies since they have dried cranberries in them. That's okay, though. Even though the main point of this blog is to list recipes my whole family likes, or at least the majority likes, these cookies got added anyway. My kids might not like them, at least with the cranberries in them, but I ADORE these cookies. I rarely make them unless I'm taking most of them someplace outside of my home, otherwise I would eat them all. Every last one. Kickin' Craisin Cookies From the book 'Key Lime Pie’ by Josi Kilpack 1 cup butter 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cups flour 2 ½ cups quick oats ½ teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon cloves ½ teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon cinnamon Dash of cayenne pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon) 1½ cups Craisins ½ cup white chocolate chips, optional ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add Craisins, chocolate chips, and nuts, using a wooden spoon to mix (dough will be too thick for most mixers). Drop by tablespoons or use a 1-inch scoop to make dough balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about two inches apart. Bake 6 to 9 minutes or until just browned—do not overbake. Allow to cool on pan 2 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Cookies should be crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Makes 3 dozen.

No comments: